New York AG sends Nassau County official cease-and-desist order over trans sport ban, threatens legal action

Photo of author
Written By Admin


Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

Please enter a valid email address.

New York Attorney General Letitia James sent a cease-and-desist order to Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman Friday, demanding he rescind an executive order prohibiting transgender athletes from competing in girls and women’s sports in the area. 

In a press release issued by the Attorney General’s office, the executive order Blakeman signed last week was slammed as discriminatory and a violation of New York’s Civil and Human Rights Laws.

New York Attorney General Letitia James speaks during a press conference Sept. 21, 2022, in New York.   (AP Photo/Brittainy Newman, File)

“The executive order discriminates against transgender women and girls simply for being who they are, and against teams that include transgender women and girls on their rosters, in clear violation of New York’s Civil and Human Rights Laws,” the press release states. 

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

“In a cease-and-desist order sent today, the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) demanded that Nassau County rescind the order in five days or else face additional legal action.” 

James reiterated the threat of legal action in a statement released by the office.   

“The law is perfectly clear: You cannot discriminate against a person because of their gender identity or expression. We have no room for hate or bigotry in New York,” James said. “This executive order is transphobic and blatantly illegal. Nassau County must immediately rescind the order, or we will not hesitate to take decisive legal action.” 

Bruce Blakeman in January 2024

Nassau County, New York, Executive Bruce Blakeman speaks at a Long Island Association event Jan. 5, 2024, in Woodbury, N.Y. (Howard Schnapp/Newsday RM via Getty Images)

NEW YORK COUNTY MOVES TO PREVENT BIOLOGICAL MALES COMPETING IN GIRLS SPORTS AT LOCAL FACILITIES

Blakeman’s executive order prevents transgender athletes or teams with transgender athletes from using the county’s sports venues. 

“What we are saying here today with our executive order is that if a league or team identifies themselves or advertises themselves to be a girls or women’s league or team, then biological males should not be competing in those leagues,” Blakeman said at a recent press conference announcing the law. 

Blakeman responded to Friday’s cease-and-desist notice on social media, indicating no plans to rescind the executive order. 

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“My EO stops the bullying of women and girls by transgender males who have many outlets to compete without putting the safety and security of females in danger,” he said in a post on X. 

Bruce Blakeman in August 2023

Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman discusses the migrant crisis and addresses recent comments made by Queens Borough President Donovan Richards Aug. 17, 2023, in Mineola, N.Y., suggesting migrants be sheltered at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum. (Schnapp./Newsday RM via Getty Images)

“In Nassau we will continue to fight for females’ right to be safe, secure and have a level playing field to compete.” 

According to the cease-and-desist letter, the executive order will affect approximately 100 sites. In addition to threats of legal action, the attorney general is asking Blakeman to produce “any and all documents constituting the record supporting your decision to issue the Order.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter. 



Source link

Leave a Comment